Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Guess My Invitation to DFW's Secret Living Room Concerts Got Lost in the Mail


DALLAS - The living room is packed with avid music fans, but the room is so quiet, you could hear a guitar pick drop. Attendees are there to see a handful of bands at a show they didn’t have to pay for, and they weren’t told who they would be seeing. This is a Sofar Sounds show, a grassroots company based out of London whose sole focus is to introduce artists from all walks of life to fans around the world.
Sofar, which stands for Songs from a Room, started in 2009, but now has regular events in Paris, Berlin, New York City, Los Angeles, and Dallas.
The Dallas shows fill up quickly, many with a waiting list. Participants know about the shows by signing up for a monthly email blast. Then, organizers extend invitations to fans whose music tastes align with the bands chosen.
Volunteers all around Dallas-Fort Worth offer up their homes for the events. Once the audience arrives and gets settled, the staff asks everyone to be quiet, sit still, and turn their phones off. These shows are meant to be solely about the music and the artists performing it.
Interested music fans can sign up at Sofarsounds.com, but you've got to wait for that golden ticket.

When I handcrafted my first hilarious WWCD post, and shortly thereafter, single-handedly built a media conglomerate from the ground up, the perks have been great... credentialed access to the best games, a tax haven to shelter gambling stacks, instant BJ's from adoring female readers, the whole deal. If it has VIP or secret in the name, I'm pretty much in no questions asked. Every once in a while though a logisitcal snafu can leave me in the dark. That being said, I don't want to go to an invite-only living room concert, I need to go to an invite-only living room concert. I don't even care if it's crappy music and smug hipsters. There's no question I'm gonna find something to sing along to, leave the crowd begging for me to take over the make-shift stage, and drag some mediocre piece outta there. These pipes don't lie. Just need Sofar to tell me how the important people get in. I don't just sign up and wait it out like some squid.

No comments:

Post a Comment