Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Dallas Morning News Predicts Romo's Career Over, Ignores Epic Celebrity Injustice

WATERCOLOR, FL - Despite a league lockout, Cowboys Tony Romo and Jason Witten have returned to playing football. The two recently joined former Cowboys Troy Aikman and Bobby Carpenter and New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton for a beach football game in Florida.

“It got so competitive to where the whole beach was watching,” said Payton. “A highlight for me was my son Connor caught a touchdown pass from Romo. I played a little safety, a little wide receiver and Romo was struggling at quarterback so I went in and threw him a touchdown pass."

If that didn't look too bad, it's because it wasn't. One may be surprised to know that the headline was, "Tony Romo struggles at QB in Sean Payton's beach football game." Some might call this shoddy and immature journalism, unnecessarily taking pot shots at an innocent vacationer. I couldn't disagree more. I don't care if you're trying to hit Miles Austin over the middle against a Giants pass rush or lob it to Payton's bratty kid with a Nerf Whistler, I need my Cowboys quarterback going through his progressions and hitting that target like Candice on the honeymoon. That's what winners do, especially the leader of America's team on America's birthday. If you can't do that, then grab another Strawberry Daiquiri, join the moms and tots, and get to work on another sand castle. DMN may be ahead of the curve here, and for that, I commend them and will ready both my Stephen McGee jersey and Sports Pulitzer for SportsDay.

Where the Morning News falls woefully short on journalistic integrity is simply running with the original TMZ story and continuing the awkward charade of recognizing Bobby Carpenter. Look, we get it. You're BFF's with Romo. Great. But until he gets playing time other than specials teams or is rumored to be nailing a semi-hot celeb and is subsequently pictured with her, I don't ever need to know he was playing a pickup football game, or a real one for that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment