Monday, March 26, 2012

Who Says You Can't Get Hooked on a Show After Waiting Until Season Five to Tune in for the First Time?


So for years I was pretty confident that only smug, middle-aged TV snobs liked Madmen. I also assumed they liked it only for the sake of saying they liked it before their equally smug friends showed up at the local free-trade coffee shop to say they liked it more. I don't give a shit about artistic aesthetics, moral ambiguity, cultural nostalgia, constraining social roles or whatever the hell the New Yorker probably talks about. Even still, I gave the Season Five premiere a shot without knowing a thing, but since probably not a whole lot goes on, I couldn't have missed a lot. Well, I now feel pretty foolish that this whole time I've been missing a show about a workplace full of suits who heavily day-drink, sexually harass their female co-workers, belittle minorities, remain emotionally absent from their family, and think they're kings of the town. Just replace suit with a Dirk T-shirt and golf shorts and if that's not the hallwys of WWCD then I don't know what is. Count me in for Madmen, and don't think I won't go back and watch the first four seasons. There's gotta be something I can learn from the true pro's if I wanna bang that new secretary.

No comments:

Post a Comment